- Ambedkar Makkal Iyakkam is the first south India movement established for the welfare of the deprived community in South India.
- Dr.Vai. Balasundaram founder formed ‘Ambedkar People Movement’ in 1977 in a ceremony held at Rajaji Hall, Chennai, in the esteemed presence of Mr. Prabhudas Patwari, Hon’ble then Governor of Tamil Nadu.
- Ambedkar Makkal Iyakkam will stand for Social Justice in the Indian society. The party will always fight for those who for ages have been at the last rung of the social ladder. The party will stand to ensure the Social, Political and Economic rights to the poor, backwards and the destitute belonging to any caste, community or religion. This requires struggle which will be undertaken through the pathway of Parliamentary democracy. Strengthening the voice of the weak through people’s movement, the party will register itself through its presence in legislative politics. Ambedkar Makkal Iyakkam will fight for the issues and rights of the Dalits, the oppressed, the backwards and the minorities. The sole aim of the party will be to draw the attention of the Government and the Country to the plight of those who have been wronged historically.
- Notably, Dr. Balasundaram was instrumental in implementation of ‘Nagarpalika Act’ in the whole country with reservation to women and SC/STs; since then he has been remembered for SC/ST’s reservation in local bodies in the country, while Dr. B.R. Ambedkar is already known for that in legislative bodies.
- After the demise of Dr. Vai. Balasundaram, the party is led by his brother Vai.Ramalingam B.Sc, B.L, with the leadership of Ilamurugu Muthu in the capacity of Acting President of the party.